The symptoms of a KitchenAid motor burnout vary from one model to another and also depend upon the usage pattern and conditions. You need to keep a close eye on the performance of your mixer every time you switch it on.
You will immediately notice if anything is amiss with the motor if it doesn’t start spinning. It gives out a screeching sound that will make you cringe in case it’s coming from your expensive mixer.
Keep reading this article till the end as we explain what motor burnout means, how you can prevent it from happening and how to fix a burnt-out motor once that has already happened.
What is motor burnout?
During the manufacturing process, all the electronic Components of a mixer begin to wear out as they are exposed to high temperatures. Over time, the materials used in the manufacturing process change, and the components also lose their efficiency.
As a result, the machine stops working. A burnt-out motor is caused by exposure to excessive heat or a prolonged period of high temperature. The safety mechanisms of the mixer are damaged due to overheating, and the mixer may not start and beep.
If the motor is burnt out, it’s no longer safe to use the mixer. When your mixer gets burnt out, it means that the motor is burnt and is no longer capable of rotating at its maximum speed. It also means that you have wasted your money on a new mixer that won’t work properly.
So, what can you do? First, unplug the mixer and let it cool down. Then, take an electric ice scraper and scrape the sides of the motor to remove the burnt parts. Next, turn off the mixer and unplug it.
Next, pour some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe the sides of the motor. Then, turn on the mixer with the motor off and check if it works or not. This is a temporary solution and is not recommended for long-term use as it may damage your mixer.
How to prevent a KitchenAid motor burnout?
First of all, you need to know that you can’t prevent a burnt-out motor from happening. However, there are certain things you can do to prevent motor burnout. Here they are.
– Keep the motor clean. You need to clean the motor regularly to remove the buildup of dust or dirt on the motor. Get a vacuum cleaner and suck the sides of the motor and clean it. Also, wipe the sides if there are stains that prevent the motor from spinning properly.
– Make sure you use the correct water temperature for your mixer. The water temperature should be between 80 and 120 degrees Fahrenheit. If it’s below 80 or above 120, the mixer won’t work.
– Try turning off the mixer and letting it cool down before you try to use it. This way, you won’t damage the motor.
– You can also buy a motor protection system to prevent motor burnout. It works by monitoring the temperature of the motor and automatically turning the mixer off if it detects that the motor has overheated.
Signs of a burnt-out KitchenAid motor
These are the signs that you should look out for if your KitchenAid mixer is burnt out.
- When you turn on the appliance, it doesn’t start. You need to keep trying until you get the mixer to start.
- If you turn it off, it won’t start again. You need to let it cool down for a few minutes before you try to use it again. If you try to use it right away, you may damage the motor even further.
- The mixer doesn’t make any sound when you use it.
- When you are using the mixer, it feels like the motor is not rotating at full speed. – It doesn’t look like the appliance is getting charged while it is plugged in.
- When you try to use the appliance with another appliance, it doesn’t work.
- You see any signs of water damage or rust around the sides of the appliance.
Fixing the burned-out KitchenAid motor
You should try these methods to fix the burnt-out motor of your mixer. Note that you should only follow these steps after you unplug the mixer and let it cool down.
- Disconnect the mixer’s cord and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Then, remove the sides of the motor and turn it upside down.
- Add some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe the sides of the motor.
- Turn on the mixer with the motor off and check if it works or not. – If the mixer doesn’t work, you can try one of these methods.
- Put the motor back into the mixer.
- Put the motor back into its original place.
- Put the motor back into another appliance.
- Put the motor back into the box it came with.
- Put the motor back into storage.
- Try using the appliance with a different water temperature.
- Try using a different appliance.
- Try using a different motor protection system.
What causes a motor burnout in your mixer? The motor overheats due to a prolonged period of excessive temperature. Once the motor overheats, the bearings inside the motor become damaged and the motor no longer works efficiently.
You can prevent a burnt out motor if you follow the tips we discussed above. If it happens, you can try one of these methods to fix it. We hope this article has helped you understand more about kitchenaid motors and how to prevent a burnt out motor.
Make sure to unplug the appliance and let it cool down before you try to use it. Also, buy a motor protection system to help prevent a motor burnout.
Q: What is the cause of a burnt out motor in my mixer?
A: A burnt out motor is caused by overheating. If the motor is overheated, it will burn out quickly.
Q: How do I know if my motor has burnt out?
A: There are several signs that your motor has burnt out. The most obvious sign is a burned smell coming from the machine. Other signs include the sound of the appliance slowing down and burning out quickly, and hearing pops or crackling noises coming from inside your appliance. When you hear these sounds, unplug it immediately. If you have any questions about your mixer’s motor, please check our guide on how to replace a mixer’s motor .